We help you run a custom pilot sprint with dedicated results!
Our kick-start service is a unique and one-of-a-kind offering which is in the best interest of our customers where we first train your entire team and then coach your team through a full delivery cycle. It’s value is unprecedented and incomparable to any other form of consulting. Period.
Ready to Start?
The kick start package is a combined 2 week effort, on-site that not only trains your team in Data Vault 2.0, but also engages the team immediately after training in order to provide hands-on implementation and build out utilizing all the lessons covered in the class.
It’s like a 7 day hands-on workshop in your environment using your data and your systems to produce business value immediately.
This provides so much value to customers within a couple of weeks, that we’re VERY selective and you have to qualify before even requesting it (and most of the time get in line, as it’s extremely popular).
There are also many pre-requisite conditions that will need to be fulfilled before we set foot on your premises.
What You'll Learn...
You’ll be introduced to a number of concepts as a greenfield set of ideas. Then you’ll bring these concepts to full bear during the implementation cycle and we will assist the team in utilizing and leveraging best practices during build out. The following concepts are taught:
- Data Vault 2.0 Modeling (in-depth) – Hubs, Links, Satellites, Business Vaults, Introduction to virtual information marts (data marts)
- Data Vault ETL /ELT Implementation best practices (reusable template driven designs)
- Data Vault 2.0 Methodology – handling real-time, batch feeds, how-to build a managed self-service BI platform, introduction to SCRUM and Agile project management for Data Vault projects, Risk and Mitigation strategies, Introductory looks at Six Sigma, TQM, and Error handling (best practices), Introductory look at NoSQL, and Hadoop platforms – including Big Data and what it means, how to integrate Hadoop / NoSQL platforms seamlessly with your relational environment
- Data Vault 2.0 Architecture – 3 tier architecture, including NoSQL, where Managed Self Service BI fits, how it interacts, staging areas in Hadoop, dealing with real-time information feeds and so on.
In order to engage in the kick-start package, you must have in place, all the following components.
- Hardware for development & sandbox testing
- Data for loading within the scope of implementation – MUST be available in a staging capacity before the Kick Start begins
- ETL / ELT or SQL tooling – MUST be in place, and the team must already have a working knowledge of the tool set
- Database Engine or Instance – MUST be in place and working prior the Kick Start beginning
Note: If you are missing any of the above infrastructure components, then the entire package delivery is at risk from the start, and we reserve the right to refuse to work with you till you get your ducks in a row.
Minimum Knowledge Needed
The team must have a working background (at least 10 months or more) in the following skill sets:
- Database Administration
- Data Warehousing Concepts
- Data Modeling
- ETL / ELT implementation
- basic project management, risk and mitigation
Contract Level Pre-Requisites
The following elements must be defined and are included as part of the statement of work that is submitted before the kick-start package can take place.
- Scope of implementation – jointly decided between the authorized instructor and the project manager
- Assigned/Named team implementation members – who will participate in the Kick Start Package. The team members must be allocated 100% to the training and the project during the kick-start package. It is the only way we can ensure success
- Assigned / Named resources for training – the team members who will be implementing must be listed in both training, and implementation teams. There may be however additional resources attending the training who do not wish to participate in the implementation cycle.
- Definition of goals for implementation – a descriptive paragraph or two that provides the guidance and goals of the implementation, in other words – what do you want to see as a result of the Kick-Start package? This is written jointly with the authorized instructor and the project manager.
- Short skills assessment of each of the implementation team members, ie: how well versed are they in SCRUM / AGILE? Data Modeling? Database Administration? ETL?
- Business Sponsorship must be in-place, so the objectives or goals are prioritized
How The Kick Start Works
The team has to to be trained first using the training portion of the kick-start. The consulting follows the training immediately.
The consulting portion of the kick-start requires that the goals and objectives to be in place, the systems to be in place, and that the requirements have been defined and agreed to by the business sponsor. The consulting portion also demands that all the data sets are ready to go and have already been sourced and placed in the staging areas at a minimum.
The instructor works closely with the team in an oversight capacity, and guidance capacity – participating in daily stand-up meetings (SCRUM reviews), helping the project manager escalate priorities with the business when necessary, looking for bottlenecks in the sourcing and acquisition process, and continuing to offer corrective guidance for the team while they are implementing.
The instructor will raise red flags and assess risks of the team not meeting the two week deadline, and effectively communicate that with the project managers and business stakeholders. It is the job of the project manager to execute mitigation strategies that are decided upon by the business stakeholders. The instructor will also provide working templates for a two week implementation project plan, a sample risk assessment document, a sample change request document and so on.
At the end, the instructor will write a short one or two page review of the entire two week effort, where the team stands, and what they need to do next to continue in a successful direction.
Inquire About A Kick-Start
Join hundreds of other successful organizations and take advantage of a Kick Start today. We are happy to talk with you about a Kick Start package on-site. Let us work together to demonstrate value in your organization in a fixed two week sprint.
“It’s not about what’s right or what’s possible, it’s simply about what you can get done!”
(paraphrase from Otto von Bismark)